Thursday, August 31, 2006

What is leadership?

Leadership is the ability to stay true to a positive and productive vision despite its difficulties and evolution. Taking the lead involves taking risks, sometimes on a grand scale, but a leader takes these risks with the understanding that he or she might fail miserably, may even die under certain circumstances, but follows through with the energy of faith. Subsequently, leaders risk making mistakes and must be prepared to forge through their own errors and see the lessons learned in their failing. None of us will ever achieve perfection, life will not allow it, so we have to strive for proverbial perfection with the knowledge that we will not ever be capable of achieving it. This concept is the root of all religions and while I do not believe that we are inherently flawed in the Judeo-Christian sense, I am convinced that we simply cannot live and learn life without failing now and then.

Am I a leader? In some ways, I would argue that I am. In the office, the expression of my leadership ability is completely dependent on my motivation and energy. When morale is high and the mood is a good one, the inherent belief that I am capable of accomplishing anything I set my mind to is as sure as the sun rising in the East. My heart of hearts tells me that I can carry or drag those around me forward, regardless of circumstances. More often than not, this is where my mind has been throughout the near past. I have taken on every task that has ever been asked of me and more. Where I was once unsure of my thoughts and ideas, I have become confident of their value and eventually stopped questioning much of my personal business philosophy. People look to me for direction and I give it to the best of my ability, with the understanding that there is only so much I can do.

In my non-working life, I feel that I have done a pretty good job of living according to my vision of what a good life should be. Some would probably argue otherwise, but I believe that nearly everyone who sincerely knows me sees me in much the same way that I see myself. In fact, they probably have a better understanding of Erik than I ever will. So long as they share their perceptions of me honestly and I reciprocate said honesty, we all benefit and our collective ability to step to the front is strengthened accordingly. I have no reason to fear anyone’s judgment and have learned that my own judgment is more or less an irrelevant thing beyond the confines of my own skull. My sense is that drawing these conclusions makes me a more complete human being that I was only a few years ago.

I feel like I have a purpose, that I have something to say and it propels me. That does not necessarily make me a leader, but it fuels my drive and increases my desire to make this life something different. This has been a year of turbulence and trial-by-fire for me. From being faced with relationship woes to suffering financially and psychologically with the repercussions of a momentary lapse of self-control to seeing a once ideal work situation begin to sour, I am being tested. Honestly, I feel like I am coming out better for it. A sword cannot be tempered without fire and I believe this year was one in which it was my turn to be put in the hearth for a while. The ancient blades of the samurai did not reach their full potential until much sweat and toil was spent in pursuit of each weapon’s unique perfection. For some, the process was simple and direct, for others it was complex and time consuming, but each piece of steel was worked until it was worthy of a skilled warrior’s hand. At this stage in my existence, I was melted down and formed years ago. My path is now one of forging, finishing and sharpening.

Am I a leader? That probably depends on who you ask, but one thing is certain, I am most definitely not interested in following, so either I learn to lead and what that means to me or I get out of the way.

Posted by Erik @ 8/31/2006 09:37:00 AM

Read or Post a Comment

In school we had to write a paper of a leader who we most admired and wanted to emulate. I chose Tony Dungy who I would describe as a quiet leader. He leads through respect, empathy, high morals, and action.

You may find this interesting:

"Taoist writings

The quiet leader is not a modern invention and Lao Tzu, who, in the classic Taoist text Tao Te Ching, was discussing the same characteristic around 500 BC:

The very highest is barely known by men,
Then comes that which they know and love,
Then that which is feared,
Then that which is despised.
He who does not trust enough will not be trusted.
When actions are performed
Without unnecessary speech,
People say “We did it!”

Here again, the highest level of leadership is virtually invisible." (http://changingminds.org/disciplines/leadership/styles/quiet_leader.htm)

I think the most important thing you can do (that you already do) is lead by your actions.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Saturday, September 02, 2006 2:52:00 AM #
 

Thanks for the encouragement and I love the Tao Te Ching. :) I'm not sure I've been the best example recently, but I do genuinely try. I like Tony Dungy, but his stoicism is almost unnerving. I gravitate toward people like Gandhi and Abraham Lincoln.

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:58:00 PM #
 
<< Home