Saturday, September 16, 2006

And the majors are...

Global Business and Visual Arts. Why Global Business? It opens options not currently available to me and could potentially create opportunities that would most definitely not be available to me otherwise. My life has been something of a strange, solitary journey, and there is no real reason to think that the trend is going to somehow change. That said, one could safely conclude that I am going to be unfettered for quite some time to come. Seeing other parts of the world has always been something I have wanted to do, so why not explore an option that might allow me to go about doing just that as part of my job, rather than limiting the experience to what I could get on vacations?

I have also come to realize that I am burned out on American "culture". That's not to say there is necessarily anything better out there, but I would like to go abroad and discover what else this life has to offer. From the way people think to the way they live, Florida is becoming a place that feels less and less like home. Of course, one could say the ailments we suffer here are more or less universal, from indoctrinated insecurity and false senses of self to the trivializing of concepts like integrity, honesty, and honor, but having grown up here, I am simply running out of the energy needed to remain optimistic when surrounded by Florida's particular brand of phony superficiality.

There has to be a place on this Earth where values still mean something and honesty is still a cornerstone of culture. Maybe that place is in America, maybe it is elsewhere on this little rock, but there is no way to know without taking the time to explore and find out for myself. I want so desperately to find an oasis, a hidden alcove of decency and positivity, it seems only logical to take steps that will allow me to actively seek it out. Getting a business degree is a no-brainer, as I’ve been in business on one level or another for nearly 10 years. Going with Global Business may open up a world of possibilities, pardon the simultaneous cliché and pun. It only makes sense, given my mindset and my situation.

The Visual Arts degree is an obvious choice, I would hope. My technique needs a lot of work and my creativity needs a giant kick in the ass, but the visual arts have been a part of my life going all the way back to my earliest days in grade school. The only intelligent thing to do is to further explore what being an artist means to me, and just how far my abilities can take my creative drive. It sounds silly, but I have a vision of what I dream this life could be and finding ways to express that dream visually would be tremendously rewarding.

Due to some scheduling issues, my first art class will not start until the first term of 2007, but I will be taking two business courses (Statistical Techniques in Business and Technology and Society) this term. That officially makes me a full-time student according to Eckerd. I only wish I could take a couple of years away from work, but I have too much going on right now to make that a realistic option. With this degree plan, I am looking at three years of school, at least, so there is plenty of time for things to change.

Posted by Erik @ 9/16/2006 08:17:00 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Congratulations! I think those majors are great choices for you. Global (International) Business is a field that's really needed. Even this job I'm interviewing for needs someone who has international/cultural knowledge.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:49:00 AM #
 

I'm definitely stoked. Just got my academic plan and it looks like 30 classes stand between me and my dual degrees. It is going to be a long journey, probably 3+ years, but if the classes are nearly as interesting as LLV(the class I am in now), it should be fun and enlightening. :)

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:01:00 AM #
 
<< Home