Friday, September 01, 2006

Writing an autobiography

Our first major assignment as Eckered students is to write a 7-10 page, selective autobiography. The story is to be centered around a book by Carol Pearson called The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By. Pearson is a Ph.D. carrying Psychiatrist from the Jungian school of archetypal head shrinking. My personal take on personality archetypes is that there is some merit in the idea, but that we seem to transition from one to another so often and so fluidly that their relevance as a diagnostic tool seems fairly limited. Then again, I am no expert, so what do I know.

Anyway, the autobio was actually fairly quick and painless to write. Spent most of the day today (Saturday, 9/2) writing, revising and tightening it up. Ten pages of double-spaced, 12pt font later and I have a paper to turn in. I ended up writing the paper as more of a periodical overview, rather than as an event=archetype, event=archetype, event=archetype thing. It seemed more logical to break my life out into stages and describe how one archetype or another dominated each stage as I pgressed through the years to the present. Hopefully this will be acceptable. If anyone would like to read what I've put to paper and share their feedback, drop me an email and let me know. Any and all help would be appreciated.

In a completely unrelated story, I should have my car back by Monday (if they're open, Tuesday if they are not). This will bring to an end a two month saga of trials and tribulations with poor Scooby. Supposedly the shop working on the car now has one of the best Subaru guys in the state on the case, so I'm tentatively optimistic. All I want now is my car back and looking right. Only 48 hours and counting until we know for sure.

For those with any interest, I came across a very nicely done Wanderlei Silva highlight vid on YouTube. If you are into MMA combat, check it out here If you are into really bad English and MMA combat, check out his homepage here. Not one of my favorite fighters, but definitely a brutally skilled mixed martial artist worthy of respect. Here's hoping he gets his ass handed to him by Crocop on September 10th. :)

Posted by Erik @ 9/01/2006 10:39:00 AM