Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Getting back to being an art geek

There was a time, back when I was more depressive than aggressive, that art was my thing. It was my therapy, my pastime, my constant companion, and one of the few things that I was absolutely sure that I could count on. Of course, it was also one of the things I took for granted. Which made my slow drift away from the graphic process that much easier, in hindsight. It was always something that came easily, but it was also something I did not properly pursue and explore. Like a long-term friendship that had been neglected, my ties to art eventually weakened and nearly disappeared altogether.

That's changed over the years. I came to really miss the creative sequence...the sporadic moments of inspiration, rouging out sketches, refining the image, the fits of start and stop...more or less everything that comes along with actually creating something. And it is no revelation, the idea that creating or building something is a magic every human can appreciate. We are most fulfilled when we are engaged in positive, constructive processes...it's a universal truth, regardless of what the cowardly cynics and stunted souls have to say. When you discard all the distractions, all of the mundane, disposable bullshit, you are left with the things that give weight to our souls and make our eyes yearn to be open. In my case, that is art and the creative process. I decided some time ago that it was time to get back around to taking care of that itch.

Art is one of the few constants in our species' erratic history. From ancient humanity's cave paintings through the Renaissance to our modern "culture", artistic expression has been with us from the beginning. It's a shame that there is so little value put in it today, but I think that is more a commentary on modern society than evidence of art's actual value. After all, how much credibility does a society like ours really have where value judgments and worth are concerned?

I met with Lin Jorgensen, the academic advisor for Eckerd's PEL Visual Arts program, this morning. She is most definitely an enthusiastic, invested artist. I have always enjoyed artists, because in some ways, I have always understood them a bit better than most people. I wouldn't classify myself as an artist, but I would one day like to. So I registered in two art courses next semester, which should counterbalance the two business courses I will be taking. The soul's expression and the soulless, balanced against one another. That works for me, to be honest.

Labels: , ,

Posted by Erik @ 11/15/2006 10:59:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

That's fantastic news!! Which art courses are you taking? I know what you mean, I miss just getting lost in a drawing and tuning everything else out. I haven't created anything since 2001/02, but that is when I started dancing so I guess I've continued with art since. Just in a different form.

I can't wait to hear all about these art classes so I can live vicariously through you. Which reminds me, I need to write Titus one of these days to see how he's doing.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:13:00 AM #
 

I have Fundamentals of drawing and Intermediate drawing with Marc Runge, who is supposed to be an excellent instructor. This is his last semester at Eckerd, as he's going international or some such thing, so the advisor was fairly excited that I would get to work with him for an entire semester. It should be good times. I feel like I am getting back to my roots. My technique has gone to shit, not that it was ever fantastic to begin with, so it will be nice to have some college level instruction.

I haven't thought about Titus in forever. Do you know if Priscoe is still at East Lake?

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:33:00 AM #
 
<< Home