Friday, November 17, 2006

Paying for the pleasure

I rarely watch TV, but last night I was exhausted with reading, writing, and assembling the research paper I have looming on the not so distant future, so I turned into HBO in hopes of finding something worth wasting an hour or so on. First channel I try, a scantily clad blonde is talking about sucking this and fucking that. The information bar indicates that the current program is called Cathouse...interesting. Intrigued, I expand the info window and discover that the cathouse in question is none other than the world famous Bunny Ranch brothel in lovely Carson City, Nevada. Apparently, someone thought it would be a good idea to film a pseudo-documentary about America's most profitable, legal whorehouse. What choice did I have but to watch?

After 5 minutes, my first thought was, "Who the hell would pay to sleep with these women?" That's not to say that they were all scab covered, bedraggled, toothless streetwalkers, but we're talking about walking, talking gloryholes here. These are women who have had more miles of penis run through their orifices than there are linear miles between Mother Earth and the Sun. I didn't find any of the featured hookers particularly attractive on a physical level, and there isn't enough liquor in this world to convince me that their personalities would be worth $1500/hour, so I was left to wonder, what the feck is going on here?

In a world where meaningless, NSA sex is only a few miles and beers away, why the hell would anyone pay for the privilege of taking their shot at being the 1,000,000th penis served by some soulless, deeply troubled, fuck factory? For $1500, you could buy a decent outfit, get a haircut, rent a Ferrari F360, reserve a room at one of the nicer hotels downtown, and still have enough left in your billfold to get one of South Tampa's wonderful young ladies drunk at the area's trendier watering holes. As a bonus, chances are good that Ms. Tampa will be just as soulless and troubled as any Bunny, but with a bit of luck, her mileage would be more like that of a highly used car, rather than that of an over-the-road, long haul, diesel truck. A 50,000 mile Honda seems a lot more appealing than a 1,000,000 mile Peterbilt for a multitude of reasons, but then again...

There was one interesting factor that could sway things in the Bunny Ranch's favor: STD testing. The BR's bunnies are tested weekly for the low grade STDs, i.e. herpes, chlamydia, etc, and monthly for the heavy hitters, i.e. HepC and HIV. Now, how many of America's non-professional, promiscuous women can boast such diligent vigilance over the viral condition of their not-so-private parts? My guess is not many, given the current all-time highs of STD infection in this country. To think that it very well may be safer to have unprotected sex with a prostitute than many of the women you are likely to meet during a night out is downright mindblowing, but it is a fact. When this thought dawned on me, I literally started laughing like a hyena. The BR requires safe sex practices of all its customers, without exception, which is also something most promiscuous women simply can't boast.

Think about that, prostitutes in Nevada are probably safer as sex partners than quite a few women one might run into in a place like Channelside, Hyde Park, or Ybor City. According to the State of Nevada, every girl at the Bunny Ranch is STD free. You simply cannot say that about the women frequenting the aforementioned night spots. My brain is not sure what to do with that information. It is not unrealistic to believe that I have a lower chance of contracting a STD from a pro sleeping with 8 to 10 (or more) men a day, than I do a modern, sexually enlightened woman who might only sleep with one or two random guys a weekend. Yet, that same 1- 2/weekend girl is almost surely going to condemn the 8-10/day pro as a whore, or worse. The irony makes Jesus cry! In reality, I think the whole damn thing would make Jesus cry, but there you go.

On that note, enjoy your weekend!

Labels: , , ,

Posted by Erik @ 11/17/2006 10:31:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

haha this show is too funny

airforce amy...enough said!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Friday, November 17, 2006 11:43:00 PM #
 

Whoever you are, you're fast. As for Airforce Amy, I wouldn't pay 1500 pesos for the "pleasure" of doing the ol' in-and-out with that particular working girl.

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Friday, November 17, 2006 11:49:00 PM #
 

I remember watching something about the Bunny Ranch years ago, perhaps during an installment of Real Sex? Is that show even on anymore? I remember watching that when I was 13 and they had a woman who worked as a librarian by day, and peep show girl by night. And no that is *not* why I chose librarianship as a profession.

That is quite eye-opening about it being safer to sleep with those prostitutes than any regular female at a bar/club. It makes sense though, as sad as that is. I can't even believe the things I see going on in the clubs/bars.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Sunday, November 19, 2006 12:47:00 AM #
 

Seriously, it is disconcerting in many ways. I have been less active than anyone I know, and STILL I have made a mistake or two. I haven't ever done the random girl thing, but that doesn't make me feel much safer, given modern circumstances. These are the sort of facts that have made me so dead certain that sex should not ever be a recreational thing. Something so intimate, pleasurable, and entangled with emotion should only be shared with someone you care deeply about. If everyone believed that, I have to think we would AT LEAST be as safe sharing that experience with someone in our lives as we would with a girl screwing full-time at the Bunny Ranch. The sad fact is, unless both partners are virgins, or religious with their safe sex practices (though that does not guarantee one's safety), that just isn't the case.

Seriously, sex, as an act, is on a very high pedestal in my world. I literally ask myself the question, "Is this worth risking my physical and emotional health for?" That is the state of our society, and I think it is an utter tragedy.

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Sunday, November 19, 2006 1:20:00 AM #
 
<< Home