Sunday, November 05, 2006

Time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking...

All of Scooby's drivetrain components have been ordered. They should be here the third week of November, or so I hope. Some of the bits have already started arriving, which makes me eager as Hell, despite the hefty payout. Step 1 in my 2-part plan for street driven insanity is now half complete. It is only a matter of time...MWAHAHAHahahahaaa.

Right...so anyway, school is going well. The Stats class has turned out to be much more enjoyable than I had previously thought. This week's "assignment" was to head on down to Neiman-Marcus, have a look at the Philip Stein timepieces, ask a few stats-related questions, and grab some documentation. For those that haven't heard, this watch is supposed to be something of a miracle. Supposedly, it acts as an electromagnetic field sink, meaning it pulls electromagnetic(EMF) field energy out of your body, when worn. Why is this a benefit? Well, EMF energy is bad for you, apparently, and the Philip Stein Teslar line of watches are exactly what you need to protect and fortify your well-being against this invisible killer!

According to the pamphlet entitled "Life, Electromagnetic Energy and your well-being", which published and distributed by the watch line's manufacturer, electromagnetic fields have been linked to Alzheimer's, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and even Cancer. I wasn't aware of this, but it is in print, so it must be true! Needless to say, I was eager to try one on and see how they felt. To be honest, the models I looked at were very nice timepieces. I especially liked the blue-faced, stainless stell, chronograph with stainless steel band. It felt hefty and solid, which is good, because I would want to feel like I am getting a fair amount of metal when I spend $1500 on a watch. The cheapest watch I tried on was $1000, the most expensive was just under $3000. They were all very nice, not Rolexes, of course, but more than nice enough for this prole.

Since the beneficial effects of the watch are only apparent after an extended period of use, I can't speak to the power of their EMF absorption. What I can talk about is the "cellphone demonstration". Apparently, this is the demonstration that made the watch famous and got it featured on Oprah (who owns every female face combination available, according to the helpful folks at Neiman-Marcus). What the salesperson does is have you stand with one arm extended, and other hanging at your side. They then proceed to press down and tell you to resist. Empty-handed, I resisted pretty well. You are then instructed to pick up your cell, holding it in your off hand, while you extend the other arm again. The salesperson presses down again and this time I was unable to resist the pressure at all. I was skeptical, but curious at this point. He then had me pick up one of the Philip Steins, while still holding my cell in the opposite hand. This particular watch was a round faced piece, rimmed in diamonds, that came in at about $3k. Of course, when he pressed down this time, I was able to resist easily. It must be magic! Or not. I'm thinking this is more a demonstration in leverage than a demonstration of the effects electromagnetic fields have on our body.

During the empty-handed demo, he pressed down on my extended arm near the area where the forearm meets the elbow...a little short of halfway down my forearm, biased toward the elbow. Next time, when I was holding the cellphone, he was much closer to my wrist, putting my shoulder at a greater disadvantage, mechanically. Did I mention that each time my arm was extended, my thumb was pointed down? Well, it was. Finally, when I was asked to hold the Teslar in my extended arm, his hand was much closer to my elbow, giving me back a lot of leverage. I didn't call the guy out, but I definitely made a mental note.

If you're curious about the brand, I recommend checking it out for yourself. They are stylish, with a bias toward classic, rather than trendy, and the cellphone demo is worth a go. If nothing else, you could confirm my observations about hand placement and start a debunking movement on the web. Or not...

So things are going well. I'm feeling good physically, staying focused mentally, and perpetually working on the spiritually. Good times...

Labels: , ,

Posted by Erik @ 11/05/2006 09:01:00 PM