Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas time musing

I find myself thinking about the lyrics to (What's so funny) 'bout peace, love, and understanding quite a bit around this time of year. The song has been covered by everyone from Cyndi Lauper, to Elvis Costello, to A Perfect Circle. My personal preference is for APC's version, but then I've got a soft spot (in my pants...see the FUNNY!) for Maynard. If you're not familiar, the lyrics are as follows:

As I walk through
This wicked world
Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.
I ask myself
Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred, and misery?

And each time I feel like this inside,
There's one thing I wanna know:
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

And as I walked on
Through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.

'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

So where are the strong?
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.

'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?


I'm not sure there is a song that better sums my, and I suspect many other peoples', collective thought processes. Our collective legacy is one of prolonged struggle and strife. We have not had a century of total peace in all of recorded history. Like various holy scriptures have noted, we are beset on all sides by evils. We have been collectively aware of this encroachment since our species achieved a level of intelligence that would allow us to record its presence. We have been talking about, arguing over, and fighting against these evils for thousands of years.

It is safe to say that evil is not going anywhere. So in these time of "good will toward men", it is difficult to practice what I would preach. There are times when I struggle to remember that there is some good being done out there, that there are reasons to be optimistic. As I pass through my 29th Christmas, I find myself no more sure of the larger "why" than I was on my first. The exceptions to the rules give me hope, but the larger, eternal mess that is Humanity leaves me bewildered.

In a world where peace is as simple as learning to live alongside each other, not necessarily in hippy harmony, but in some form of tranquility, it is nearly impossible to find peace. These days, I am not even at peace with myself, forget the world, and I know I am not alone because similar things are being said by nearly everyone I know. Bummer...

On a lighter note, my cousin Denis is in town. I haven't seen Denis in nearly 20 years, so you can imagine that we both look a bit different. He brought his girlfriend Monica with him. They are both PhD carrying academics and a blast to chat with. This is the first time I've ever known Denis, who is in his mid-40s, to have a serious girlfriend. This is also the first time we will have had any extended family around for the Christmas holiday. Their visit has been a welcome change of pace and I am glad they are here.

Interestingly, this is the 29th consecutive year that I have been single at Christmas. On one hand, I find that amusing. I mean, that is hard to do, trust me! On the other, it is a little discouraging. Somethings are not meant to be, and I think I have registered this particular message loud and clear, but I'm not so bitter and empty to not feel a slight pang of regret about this fact. No worries...it'll pass. :)

on that note, have a Happy Festivus! If I don't see you before, have a safe New Years. Hopefully my next post will be something on the order of "I'M AN UNCLE!!!!". Later kids...

Labels: , ,

Posted by Erik @ 12/22/2006 09:29:00 AM