Sunday, January 21, 2007

I think I'm in love

It was the last thing I expected when I walked through the door. My mission was information gathering for a school project, but when I came around the corner, there she was. At first, I tried to ignore her, but for some reason I was compelled to start working my way across the room. As most of you know, I'm almost always hesitant about these sorts of things. More often than not I will let an opportunity to do the "get to know you" thing pass me by, but for whatever reason, I was feeling inspired, so I walked over and got a closer look.

She was long and lean, decked out in simple black and blue. I could tell by looking at her that she was more about substance than quick fixes. Her body language told me all I needed to know. For the first time in a long while, I was keenly curious, so I got within arm's reach, turned toward her and ran my figure tips over her gas tank and fenders. The black paint coating this particular Harley-Davidson FXSTD Softail Deuce's scant surfaces was exactly what the doctor ordered to get me thinking about a different form of mechanized transcendentalism.

The last girl I dated rode a Honda 600F4i. This was actually one of the first things that drew my attention toward her. After all, not many women ride sport bikes, and I have to admit that seeing a 105lb girl riding around on a motorcycle is a sexy thing to a motorhead like myself. Inevitably, as we became more serious, I started thinking about how nice it would be to have a bike of my own. My particular favorite was the Suzuki GSX-R750, a bit more than recommended for a starter bike, but not overkill (pun intended), like a Yamaha R1 or Honda 1000RR surely would be. Motorcycle girl and I parted ways before I had worked up the time and money to make my motorcycle musings a reality, so the plan went to the back burner. Then I wounded Scooby and reignited my scholastic fires. Motorcycling was pushed to the more rearward section of my brain. That is until I walked into Fletcher's Harley-Davidson in Clearwater this past Saturday.

My original plan was to pick up some marketing info for a group project at school. It was supposed to be a quick information gathering, contact building thing, but I got sidetracked. I was originally looking at some Dyna's, a matte finish, Pacific Blue Denim, Street Bob catching my eye in particular, but I have always had a soft spot for Softails. My dad has ridden a Sportster for years, and for years I have tried to get him to step up to a Softail Custom or Low Rider, but he was always satisfied with his slightly modded 1200. I, on the other hand, am most interested in this Just enough chrome to be unmistakably Harley, but no so much additional bling that it looks tacky. The two-tone, Jake Blue and Elwood Blue Sunglo (who the Hell comes up with these names?) would match my car nicely. The 96cid V-twin and 6-speed transmission might not be cutting edge, high revving tech, but I'm beginning to realize that I would rather have a bike to cruise away from humanity's monotony, relaxing as I enjoy the lesser used roads this world has to offer, than to be hunched over in a near fetal position, flicking my RPM happy 4-cylinder through curve after curve. I like sportbikes, fast=good after all, but I find myself drawn to Harley-Davidson's "enjoy the ride" approach more and more. I can almost feel my wallet getting lighter...

Once Scooby's new hardware is in place, she will be plenty fast. If all goes well, she will be making a daily driveable, 500bhp and should weigh around 3000lbs. How much faster do I really need to go? Harley-Davidson offers something different and something I see as more appealing. Maybe I'm just getting old. Whatever the case may be, a Softail Deuce might be my next mechanical acquisition, once Scooby's squared away. I'm sure pops would approve.

Labels: ,

Posted by Erik @ 1/21/2007 11:24:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Please don't do this to me!!! If you get a motorcycle before your brother I will never hear the end of it!!! I have come up with every excuse in the book as to wwhy he shouldn't get one for the last ten years and well, I'm all out. But, he still hasn't made the purchase...I was hoping the the sight of his daughters would be enough but I don't think so. Anyhow, all I can say is you're killing me :)

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Monday, January 22, 2007 5:19:00 PM #
 

LOL Sorry SIL, but I'm smitten. :) Don't get too worried though, I still have to get the car finished up and making more/better power before the bike will be a viable option. That said, I'm revising some of my power plans to save a little money. Maybe he can get matching sidecars for either side? Problem solved! ;)

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Monday, January 22, 2007 10:56:00 PM #
 

I'm with Laura... no motorcycles!! However, a super fast, super badass (note I didn't say cute) Scooby sounds pretty freakin cool!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Monday, January 22, 2007 11:12:00 PM #
 
<< Home