Friday, February 09, 2007

This is why I want a Harley-Davidson

Click me for unadulterated Harley-Davidson Marketing Ploy

Forget the "Creed" advertising gimmick, forget the tattoos, and the alternative-conformity image conjurations, and look at the scenery, the negative space. I want an open road somewhere, away from people, away from all the nonsense, where I can just ride away and not have to see another human face for a while. Is it running away? No, because running away insinuates that you are scared. I'm not afraid, there's no reason to be afraid of this mass of sheep, and the few wolves we encounter rarely justify being afraid, when all is said and done. In the end, this is a world of common. Common people, common places, common occurences, ubiquitous commonality. Save a few special places, people, and things, it is a bland and monotonous background for what could be a wondrous journey through our invididual existences.

But we don't have to succumb. We don't have to fall. We don't have to be a piece of the background. I can't see any good reason to do so! Will owning a Harley make me a rebel? No, because in a few key ways, I like to think of myself as something of a revolutionary already. What it WILL do is give me an outlet. A motorized, exposed, dangerous, beautiful, spiritual outlet. After this last visit to a Harley dealership, one of many I've made in the past, I feel it calling me and I'm nervous and mesmerized at the same time. Scared I'll get myself killed, but mesmerized by the thought of open air, open roads, and zero humans around to interfere with my journey. Maybe it's the present circumstances of my existence, my longing for greater life experiences, or something beyond my understanding, but it seems very real to me. And in this commercialized world, Harley-Davidson, more than any other motorcycle, embodies that longing and it seems only natural that this would be my machine of choice.

Maybe I'm just a sucker falling prey to good marketing...I can't deny that's a possibility. Whatever the case may be, I'm sold.

Labels: , ,

Posted by Erik @ 2/09/2007 08:22:00 AM

Read or Post a Comment

The thing about motorcycles is not so much of how dangerous they are, but how dangerous all the other people on the road are. I know, you've heard it all before I'm sure, but this area is notorious for crappy drivers. Then again, you may move to Europe so that argument goes out the window.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Monday, February 12, 2007 10:44:00 PM #
 

Every area is notorious for bad drivers. The key is to be alert, aware, and capable. I know it's not the safest thing, but I've got the bug in a bad way. A majority of motorcycle accidents involve sport bikes, but that does not mean riding a Harley is safe. It's hard to explain the 'why' behind the desire to get out there on a bike ad believe me, I appreciate just how hazardous this place can be.

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:17:00 AM #
 
<< Home