Saturday, April 14, 2007

American Anthem

Fuck And Run
Artist: Cassettes Won't Listen (Liz Phair)

I woke up alarmed
I didn't know where I was at first
Just that I woke up in your arms
And almost immediately I felt sorry
'Cause I didn't think this would happen again
No matter what I could do or say
Just that I didn't think this would happen again
With or without my best intentions
And whatever happened to a girlfriend
The kind of girl who tries to win you over?
And whatever happened to a girlfriend
The kind of girl who makes love 'cause she's in it?

And I want a girlfriend
I want a girlfriend
I want all that boring old shit like letters and sodas
Letters and sodas

You got up out of bed
You said you had a lot of work to do
But I heard the rest in your head
And almost immediately I felt sorry
'Cause I didn't think this would happen again
No matter what I could do or say
Just that I didn't think this would happen again
With or without my best intentions

And I want a girlfriend
I want a girlfriend
I want all that stupid old shit like letters and sodas

And I can feel it in my bones
I'm gonna spend another year alone
It's fuck and run, fuck and run
Even when I was seventeen
Fuck and run, fuck and run
Even when I was twelve

And I can feel it in my bones
I'm gonna spend my whole life alone
It's fuck and run, fuck and run
Even when I was seventeen
Fuck and run, fuck and run
Even when I was twelve

You almost felt bad
You said that I should call you up
But I knew much better than that
And almost immediately you felt sorry
'Cause you didn't think this would happen again
No matter what you could do or say
Just that you didn't think this would happen again
Without or without your best intentions

And whatever happened to a girlfriend
The kind of chick who tries to win you over?
And whatever happened to a girlfriend
The kind of chick who makes love 'cause she's in it?

And I want a girlfriend
I want a girlfriend
I want all that boring old shit like letters and sodas
Letters and sodas
Letters and sodas
Letters and sodas


Seriously, does this not capture modern America or what? lol Stumbled across the track on some blog and thought it was funny. So many enlightened souls, so few therapists.

Anyway, did my first day of riding at the MSF course today. Was very good times! Don't have time to write about it now, but I'm asking the Great Spirit for sunny days tomorrow, or else we're riding in the rain. More later...

Labels: ,

Posted by Erik @ 4/14/2007 06:30:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Tomorrow is going to be brutal weather!! Good luck!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:21:00 PM #
 

If anything, switch the male/female roles of this song and it captures most teenage boys. I think it's great, I think everyone needs to "fuck and run" at least once. If it weren't for those kind of boys I would never of had my heart broken and I think everyone needs to experience that at least once. I was so naive, I used to think I loved the guys I dated before Scott but once you find real love you know the difference. How boring would my life be if I only dated Scott, some of my best teenage years were before Scott... I had a blast, I got my heart trampled on and I wouldn't change a thing. I have two daughters and I hope they get their heart broken once or twice that way they learn what they do and don't want out of a guy and will appreciate the real thing when it comes along.

Anyhow, my point is... it may to a certain extent capture modern America but thank goodness it's not like the past where you married the first person you slept with or worse first person you dated and just stayed married in a loveless marriage because that's what you were supposed to do. I'm not condoning divorce, I'm saying we need trial and error so we marry the right one. Heck, if that were the case I could have ended up with a Vince, Matt or an Eric... yikes!!! Thank goodness for the "fuck and run" :)

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:23:00 AM #
 

Weather actually wasn't too bad. Cloudy/drizzly in the morning, but we rode anyway. Lightning popped up for a bit, so we went inside and did the written test. After 11 or so the weather cleared, became downright beautiful (if a bit windy), and we rode for the rest of the afternoon. I managed to pass the skills test...lost points for putting a wheel just outside the box while doing my U-turn, but knocked everything else out without any other deductions. Now it's time to start shopping for a bike and I know exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Laura: We couldn't be on more opposite sides of this equation, but then that's no surprise. ;) I haven't ever "fucked and run", and don't see a need for going there, but I see your point. I could go bang around, and there are times that I wonder what would be different if I had, but I didn't ever want to be someone with a lot of history. And I admit that I am intentionally unrealistic about this particular issue, but it's something that is very important to me. Animals fuck, but humans have the opportunity to experience so much more in the form of physical/emotional/spiritual love. I know that sounds ridiculous coming from a guy, but that's the truth as I see it.

Maybe history is too important to me, I couldn't argue against that idea, but there's always more to the "fuck and run" story than simple, un-emotional, "sport fucking". No matter what people say, that level of intimacy carries some weight with it, and I just can't see myself willfully throwing away that kind of moment with someone I didn't genuinely care about.

I'm not saying you're wrong, as I think most people would see it your way, I just see it differently. Maybe I'm over romanticizing the moment, or maybe everyone else is just fooling themselves. In the end, it's all a matter of perspective. Regardless, I'm glad you and Scott came together, whatever the circumstances, because the two of you are an honest-to-goodness team, which is rare these days, and those little girls are the most beautiful little monkeys I've ever seen! That said, I will have to travel a different path. Hopefully I'll meet someone that I can really get to be in love with. The odds are against it, I know, but it still might happen. At this point, hope is all I've got, and doing a little sport fucking just wouldn't do anything to help keep that hope alive.

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:39:00 PM #
 

p.s. The original song, as sung by Liz Phair, did have the girlfriend/boyfriend reversed.

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:40:00 PM #
 

I need to clarify...

I don't think people should be out having one night stands all over town. I think when you sleep with someone it should mean something to you, not necessarily love, but something.

What I'm saying is that I can relate to the song... I've been in relationships that I thought were wonderful and fun but then we'd break up and then get back together, so on and so forth. Every time I would put my heart back on the line but the guys were just in it for the "fuck and run".

So as much as it hurt back then, I don't regret one second, I can look back and laugh and have fond memories. I learned what I didn't want from a guy, and I learned how much a broken heart truly hurts, which makes me that much more careful when holding someone else’s.

So, I'm so thankful they did run which is why I say,

Thank goodness for the "fuck and run" :) :)

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:29:00 PM #
 

I get what you're saying and point taken. Maybe I need to do more fucking and running, or maybe just more fucking running. On second thought, fuck running unless it's for fucking.

And doesn't "fuck and run" sound like a carnival ride?

"Come on down to the County Fair featuring the death-defying, mind blowing Fuck-n-Run roller coaster ride! There will be games, prizes, and STDs for the kids. First 5 people through the front gate get a gift certificate good for one free session with Dr. Phil!! So come on down this Saturday and Sunday!" :)

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:31:00 PM #
 
<< Home