Saturday, June 02, 2007

Three beers

Three beers gave me a buzz. I almost couldn't believe it, but three Yuenglings in the span of an hour or so gave me a mild buzz. Haven't had something like that happen since I was 21 and honestly, it feels good. Let me clarify, it feels good to get a buzz off of three beers, the buzz itself not so much. Since last August, my alcohol consumption has dropped to near zero, and I can say with complete honesty that I do not miss it in the least.

The long nights putting away drink after drink after drink with little or no effect have lost their allure. Waking up after four hours sleep and having to drag myself to the sink so that I could start re-hydrating has totally lost its charm. The fun I had partaking in all of that consumption was real enough, but the enjoyment was tainted by the nature of inebriation. Another of life's grand illusions, it would seem.

Tonights trip out proved to be more enjoyable than what I drank and the buzz I experienced. It was karaoke night at a small, neighborhood bar called The Palms in Palm Harbor. A couple of friends were meeting another group there and invited yours truly to tag along. There wasn't much else going on, so I met them up. In all my years of bar hopping, I hadn't ever experienced the unmitigated hilarity of a karaoke night, so it seemed like a good time to venture out. Honestly, all those trips out paying $7 or $8 for a cocktail were more or less wasted, as I don't think I ever laughed as much as I did watching ordinary humans singing the songs of rock gods and guitar heroes. The most surprising part was how well some of the imitators faired. Good times were had by all, and I must admit to being more than a little surprised.

It is the simple, unpretentious, uncomplicated things that we can most honestly settle into and enjoy. I spent so much time in the South Tampa, Channelside, and Ybor scenes, I suppose I never came to understand how appealing a small bar with relatively cheap beer could be. While I don't miss the drinking, I probably did miss some genuine opportunities for simpler, cheaper, more genuine good times. There are no plans to catch up, or to get up on stage to sing, but I can't say that this will be my last time to head out for a couple of cheap beers in a small bar full of locals just looking to relax and have a good time.

And a good time is exactly what I needed, since I had to drop the scoot off at Fletcher's for its thousand mile service this morning. The bike won't be worked on until tomorrow, I decided to run it in before the rain set in. It's a good thing, because the Heavens opened up and dumped liquids for the remainder of the day. For the first time in over a month, Audrey isn't occupying the spot immediately behind dad's Sportster in the garage and I'm not ashamed to admit that this bothers me. Apaprently, I've become somewhat addicted to riding and the fact that I very likely won't be doing any two-wheeled cruising this weekend (due to weather, as well as the bike being out of my possession) has me bummed.

Luckily, I'll be bolting my pipes and air cleaner on as soon as the scoot is back home, so all won't be lost. I've got an oil cooler and a vintage air cleaner cover on the way from Chicago H-D, so there will be more mods to bolt on in the near future. Finally, for the first time, I'll get to experience the rat-a-tat-potato of my very own big twin very soon. Can't wait. :)

Labels: ,

Posted by Erik @ 6/02/2007 12:31:00 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Come on get out there and sing, even your brother has gotton up to sing karaoke afew times... I have the pictures to prove it :):) Isn't it fun, I love it and you're right some people are really good... others, not so much :)

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:33:00 PM #
 

Another three beers and I might have! lol Of course, there was a time when I was simply too cool for karaoke or anything of the sort, but I'm not going to lie, it was a good time. I would pay good money to hear Scott sing, especially in front of a bar full of people! :D

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:30:00 PM #
 
<< Home