Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Playing with paint

Day 2 with the "drawing" which is going to end up looking very much like a sloppy painting, since I am limited with how much detail/drawing I can do. The brushes I am being forced to use large brushes. The fact that they are bristle and not sable makes a huge difference as well, so keep all of that in mind when judging progress. The whole point of this course is to free up my style and get more expressive, so I'm being forced to use broad brushes and a limited color palette, which means I have to mix my own secondary colors. So far, it's been fun. I'm guessing this took an half hour to put down, as the vinyl was sucking the paint dry before I could really work into it, so you end up loading the brush repeatedly. Hopefully, I will have an interesting image when it's all said and done. Fun so far. :)

Unfortunately, the colors are not as vivid as they appear here. The relatively low-res camera and its overenthusiastic flash are really bringing up the hues, which is nice, but not entirely accurate.

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 9/19/2007 10:38:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

it'll definitely be an interesting piece. very pop-art meets surrealism. i'm glad you're sharing your work.

Posted by Blogger slade @ Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:41:00 AM #
 

It's something, anyway. :) This is only the second time time I have worked with real paint, so I'm learning a lot as I go. Next one should be interesting as well. ;)

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:06:00 AM #
 
<< Home