Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sometimes our stuff just disappears

Went out to the car this morning, went to park my laptop bag on the passenger seat beside me, when I noticed something strange. The glove box was open and my owner's manual was on the seat. I thought to myself, "When the hell did I open the glove compartment and why did I take out the owner's manual?"

A couple of seconds went by, with my mind replaying the events of my return home the night before. I remember unloading groceries, grabbing my gym bag, and taking the wireless ear piece in to charge. I even remembered putting the ice cream in the second fridge, and all of my frozen veggie burgers in the big freezer, but for the life of me, couldn't remember opening the glove box and putting my owner's manual on the seat. It was right about that time when what was left of my gray mater started putting the puzzle pieces together.

I looked down, noticed that the center console was wide open, and it's emptiness drove the point home. Someone had gotten into my car over night and the motherfucker had taken my Maui Jim Whalers...the best pair of sunglasses I have ever owned. He, and I'm assuming it's a he, didn't take anything else. Not the $400 head unit in the dash. Not the several hundred dollars worth of analog and digital gauges mounted within the car's interior. He didn't even try to hotwire the car. Nope, the sonofabitch took my sunglasses and called it a night.

Had he been a pro, the car would not have been in the driveway when I woke up and in reality I probably would have had it coming. I can only assume that I somehow managed to leave the car unlocked, as there was no sign of forced entry and no one seems to have heard the alarm sound. The only excuse I have for such an idiotic mistake is that my mind has been burdened with a tremendous amount of data lately, so that I feel physically and mentally exhausted. That's no excuse, as all it would have taken to prevent this theft was the simple push of a button, but burn out is all I've got to console myself with right now. :-/

So I'm out my favorite pair of shades, and the money it took to purchase them. Somewhere, as I type this, some piece of shit is having a laugh at my expense. One more lesson learned the hard way for me. Oh well, life goes on. :)

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 10/24/2007 11:11:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

While yes, if your car was locked it probably wouldn't have happened - but that doesn't mean that it's your fault. Just because someone leaves their stuff unlocked - doesn't mean it's free for the taking.

All I can say is where are the parents??? Doesn't anyone teach their children values anymore? I know theft has been around since the beginning of time, but it seems there are more and more punk kids every year!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:50:00 AM #
 

Well, it may not have been my fault, but leaving your car unlocked in the real world is an incredibly stupid thing to do. I'm curious if the thief checks my car every night, or if he just happened to come across my car on the one night it has sat unlocked in who knows how long. I like to think it was the former, because the latter would seem like some supernatural force is out to get me, and we can't have that. :)

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:25:00 PM #
 
<< Home