Sunday, October 14, 2007

This is why we ride motorcycles

Days like today are the reason motorcycles are such powerful machines. The weather was perfect - partly cloudy, mild temperatures, gentle breezes, the whole nine. I had previously made plans to do a breakfast ride with The Castricones, so we saddled up early and got underway. The first destination was a swap meet at the local Quaker Steak and Lube in Pinellas Park. A friend of mine had asked me to take her on a ride and this trip out seemed like a good opportunity...less traffic, plenty of daylight, and a slow pace were all on order. Additionally, this would be the first time I had ever ridden with a passenger, so the nervous system was sure to be firing faster than normal to begin with. The lady in question is petite and experienced as a passenger, so that would certainly help. I was surprised to see how quickly my mind settled in and became comfortable with the mechanics of 2-up riding. By the time we had ridden to our destination in Pinellas Park, I felt at ease with having someone on the passenger pillion.

Which is good, because my passenger didn't want to stop riding! lol We took our two bike group ride from QS&L to Fletcher's Harley-Davidson in Clearwater, so that I could make an appointment to have a bulging gasket on my front brake's master cylinder replaced. In all honesty, I would have probably stopped anyway to ogle the bikes and have a look around, but the gasket is a seep risk, so it made for a nice excuse to ride a couple of miles out of our way. From there it was onto Old Chicago in Palm Harbor for some grub and football. Once we had refueled, I met up with an old friend in Palm Harbor and we caravaned up to Hudson for a meet up with another old buddy, his family, and to partake in more football. Around 6:00pm my co-pilot and I headed home, but only after a quick sojourn down nostalgia street. She wanted to stop by her first Florida home, which wasn't far from my friend's house in Hudson.

As memories and people are prone to do, the house had aged, but things were very much as she had last seen it. As someone who has not ever lived far from his birthplace, and currently rents a room in the house he called home for 99.9% of his life, I have a different perspective on the buildings we call homes. It was interesting to hear her recollections of living there. By the time we headed for home, the sun was well on its way to setting. The sky was gorgeously lit in a rose-red-violet
spectacle which could only be fully appreciated from the back of a slow rolling motorcycle.

All told, we put more than 100 miles on the tires today. I found that I really enjoy riding 2-up, though I strongly encouraged my female co-pilot to pick up her own bike. Given how badly she wants one, I have a feeling it is only a matter of time. As for me, I was delighted to finally get a decent day of riding in. With school and other commitments gnawing at my free time, it was nice to spend nearly an entire day on two wheels, only going as fast as was necessary, soaking up the beautiful day Mother Nature had put on display.

Now it's back to homework, the workweek ahead, and other assorted life dramas. Not that any of it particularly bothers me right now. :)

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Reckoner
via FoxyTunes

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 10/14/2007 09:11:00 PM