Sunday, November 25, 2007

Home at last

When I left Scott and Laura's home in Cecilia, the time was 7:15 in the AM, the ambient temperature was floating in the upper-30s, and a thin frost was on the ground. As I pulled into the driveway here at home, the sky was partly cloudy, the moon full and bright in the Eastern sky, and the local temperature was right around 75. The trek took 13 hours and covered 846 miles of highway. Needless to day, I had plenty of time to reflect and contemplate.

It did not take long for me to conclude that this was easily the most enjoyable Thanksgiving I have ever experienced. All of the elements were there: several generations of our family, chilly weather, homemade food, Fall foliage giving way to barren Winter branches, etc. With family dogs and infants crawling around, it was as close to being a postcard as our family gets!

Laura prepared a delicious Thanksgiving dinner that was very vegetarian friendly. The Twins put on a show as only they can as their personalities become more distinct. Evelyn is considered and careful, while Ava is reckless and adventuresome. Evelyn was usually in no mood to deal with a group of people invading her kingdom and schedule, while Ava seemed all too eager to be distracted and entertained. With both sets of grandparents on hand, a slew of Baby Einstein videos, and a room full of toys at their disposal, there was rarely an idle moment for either of them.

The week was filled with activity, starting with my stopover in Atlanta last weekend, which gave me a chance to get enough of a taste for ATL that I now have to find a way back for a more extended stay. Once in Kentucky, Scott and I went for a trip out to the Maker's Mark distillery in Bardstown. Maker's is one of America's best whiskeys and seeing their production process firsthand bumped their brand up a couple of rungs on my list of favorites. After the 'rents arrived with Audrey, Dad and I rode out to Bowling Green for a tour of the Corvette manufacturing facility and museum. Later in the week, I went for my first ride in sub-40 degree weather. In the process, I learned what being cold on a motorcycle really means!

The entire family took a trip up to Indiana for the selection and cutting of this year's Christmas tree, which served as a lovely capstone on a week of family and relaxation. I honestly forgot about the things troubling me at home for nearly the entire trip, which was exactly what I needed. Seeing Scott, Laura, and the Twins reminded me how nice it is to spend time with family and reinforced the notion that time is incredibly precious. It is so important to spend time with people we enjoy and trust. Spending that time away from Florida, surrounded by family, recharged my proverbial batteries and restored my sense of clarity.

Florida's question marks and frustrations were far from my mind for most of the trip, which allowed for opportunities to truly relax, something I rarely do while I am here at home. Coming back to Florida, I realized that the tension was returning and how much I would rather be elsewhere. Maybe it's the people here, or maybe it's my past and present, or maybe it's the place. Florida will always be home, but it no longer feels very welcoming. Thanksgiving was exactly what I needed and I was happy to see the family together again. I already miss the munchkin twins, but everyone will be gathering here for their first birthday, so it won't be long before we all reunite again. :)

More to come later...

----------------
Now playing: John Lennon - Imagine
via FoxyTunes

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 11/25/2007 09:59:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

We had a great time too, glad you made it home with no problems.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Monday, November 26, 2007 9:32:00 AM #
 

Glad you're home safe!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Monday, November 26, 2007 10:45:00 PM #
 

Thankfully, it was an uneventful, if long trip home. :)

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Monday, November 26, 2007 11:34:00 PM #
 

p.s. I want vids of Evelyn and/or Ava moving around on 2 feet ASAP!!

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Monday, November 26, 2007 11:40:00 PM #
 
<< Home