Friday, November 16, 2007

Time for a break

Tomorrow I leave for a week-long, Thanksgiving trip to Scott and Laura's home in Kentucky. I will be stopping for a night at my friend Mark's place in Atlanta on the way up. He and his wife are Georgia Tech alums living in the heart of the city. A variety of art materials and projects are making the trip with me and I plan to get some work done in the wee hours, when the muses are swimming most vigorously. My hope is that the drive and the time away will help clear my head of the mess I have been living with of late. This place feels like a colorless, soundless docudrama in front of a treadmill of late.

Almost everything in my life having to do with people feels like a futile exercise and I am beginning to associate Florida with dark times and fruitless efforts. My mind is tired and my spirit is growling at me to get away. Human interaction is the primary cause of stress in my existence, so it will be nice to limit that interaction to family for a week. After all, the people in our lives should bring us joy. Friendships should be mutually supportive, positive experiences, but that hasn't been the case of late. Some people seem to live in hopeless helplessness, resigning themselves to their fates as if they were passengers on some drunk driver's car accident life. That sort of outlook is incredibly difficult for me to deal with. How do you show people that they are their own greatest asset? That their life is their choice, and that they have the power to overcome all obstacles, were they only to believe they are capable?

It goes without saying, being away for a while will do my spirit some good. Putting distance between myself and the shadow that seems to hang over my Monday through Friday existence will be a welcome reprieve. I will see an old friend and we will have some laughs. I will spend time with my extended family and we will have some drinks. I will put in some work and hopefully make a little visual alchemy. My nieces will laugh and smile and my engine of hope will be refueled. With any luck, the weather will allow dad and I some riding, so that I might shed this crackling husk of stagnation into the wind. My bike and I have been separated since Tuesday and it feels like an eternity!

With any luck, I will come back recharged and reinvigorated. At the very least, I hope to return well rested and physically renewed. Not that I have an audience to speak of, but for the few people that read this regularly, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. I won't be making any posts while I am away, so most of you won't be hearing from me for a week or so, which is hugely disappointing, I'm sure. :)

----------------
Now playing: Bush - Distant Voices
via FoxyTunes

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 11/16/2007 09:10:00 AM