Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am monotony

Sticking with the "I am" trend I have going on lately, I wanted to take a second to recognize the fact that I am something of a monotony machine. Our friends at Mirriam-Webster define monotony thusly:

1 : tedious sameness
2 : sameness of tone or sound

I do not feel that it is a self-defaming or demoralizing thing to recognize and admit that I exhibit largely monotonous tendencies in both my choice of topics and the tone in which I address them. The things that bother me when I write about them very likely bothered me for days, weeks, and years before I ever typed words in their directions and will almost certainly continue to bother me for days, weeks, and years to come. There will always be fecked up people, places, and things in our lives, which means there will always be something digging into the tender flesh between my fingernails.

Thankfully, there are also sources of goodness in this life. The past weekend saw my brother, the SIL, and The Twins come into town and we had a great time hanging out. Ava and Evelyn were a year old this past Saturday, so the family gathered up for a birthday party. The Twins partook in presents and Evelyn managed to smash her cake so thoroughly that it was barely recognizable. Ava needed a little help, but her cake was adequately demolished in short order. The SIL put together a nice little shindig, complete with a pinata for her sister's sons. Good times, even if I was hungover from partaking in a little too much whiskey the night before.

A little touch of randomness...this video morphing Van Gogh's self-portraits in a series


----------------
Now playing: Sly & The Family Stone - Dance To The Music
via FoxyTunes

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 1/10/2008 09:56:00 PM