Sunday, June 08, 2008

This is her zen



Haven't made much progress, too much going on lately. Moved things around again, and I'm starting to work in some color using Photoshop. Still have a long way to go and no set deadline that I need to get there. This is all practice, so there's no telling what it might end up looking like.



The best part about digital art as a medium is that it is fluid and ever changeable. If you do not like an element's position or size, you can easily change it without having to over paint or cut and paste. So long as you are working in layers, it is simply a matter of changing the layer order, or dragging a layer's contents around the virtual canvas. No muss, no fuss, no problem. The downside is that the whole process is so sterile and devoid of any tactile, but that is the price you pay for ease of use. Anyway, I added a couple more elements, moved the others around, and I think I am getting closer to happy. Once I have everything roughed in, I am going to start experimenting with the look and feel before committing to a color palette.




Made a little bit of progress. Added a lion and a...unicorn. Let me just say that these are elements in a story I was once told. I probably won't share the story, but I will say that is has nothing to do with Narnia, I swear. The original is about 4 times this size, so some elements appear to be much rougher in this compressed version than the original, so try not to be too judgmental. Keep in mind that this is the first time I have ever drawn a unicorn and probably the third or fourth time I have ever attempted a lion. Luckily, all things are just shapes and shadows, so I feel like I am at least on the right track with both creatures. More components to come as time allows...



I think I am going to make an attempt as something I have seen real artists do from time to time. I am going to try and chronicle my progress on a digital drawing/painting I started to today. All I have now is a single image with massive amounts of white space. As I fill in that white space and start evolving the picture, I will try to take snapshots and post them here. Hopefully, this will be the start of something good. If nothing else, I am hoping it will motivate me to finish some images for once! Without further adieu, here is my first sketch...enjoy...or else!!

Labels:

Posted by Erik @ 6/08/2008 10:35:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

nice, good to start,
regards,
G (Griss)

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Monday, June 09, 2008 4:52:00 PM #
 

so far the drawing is great, although i am confuse about the story and that is very important, in the begining I though about freedom, the guy was flying or something like that, then all that characters make me fell confuse.
advice check the sequence...
I work with animation but using macromedia flash,I am more in the web design thing.

keep working the draw looks cool :)

regards,

G

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Friday, June 20, 2008 8:26:00 PM #
 

Thanks, I can't quite make up my mind on the composition, but I think I am getting closer. I need some serious help with Flash, as I'd like to learn to do some animations. May have to ask for some lessons!

Posted by Blogger Erik @ Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:55:00 AM #
 
<< Home